Keeping the World Strange Book Review

Keeping The World Strange is a book of essays by Sequart Research & Literacy Organization. This book is an intriguing guide to the comic book series Planetary by Warren Ellis & John Cassaday, with something to stimulate any scholar’s mind.

The beginning essay by Cody Walker provides a simple personal and somewhat autobiographical introduction for the book. This essay gives some reasons why the book was created. The best essay from this comic scholar’s perspective is The Man Who Knows The Game by A. David Lewis. This essay explores the Planetary series through Gamestory theory, and is one of the most footnoted essays in the book.

A weakness is the typos in the early editions of this book. Another weakness is that, in my opinion, Kevin Thurman wrote the weakest essay, mainly due to his constant repeating of the same thoughts but with different words, which makes for a poor opening for Keeping The World Strange.

Overall I would sincerely recommend reading this book if you enjoyed the planetary series. I also have to say that a College Course could be done on this book by itself or with the comic book series involved. The cover image is below:


Additional Note: I plan on interviewing the authors that I didn't mention for separate but related future blog posts.

Comments

  1. Did you note the typos? If so, please send them to sequart@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks, Ben! I'd love to hear your thoughts/responses to it at greater length.

      Delete
    2. I will go back and note the typos in September. I am busy with a lot of projects at the moment both writing and non-writing.

      ADL, I plan to get in contact with the various writers whose work I didn't mention and interview them about the work they did on the book, as well as ask them some other questions.

      Delete
    3. ADL I just realized that you are probably the writer of the gamestory essay. To give you more of an answer I found the idea of gamestory in general to be something new, to me anyway, in terms of how certain stories can be viewed. For example any character who instinctually knows the game(s) of their universe whether Batman, Mr. Fantastic, or Elijah Snow is the man who knows and thus a naturally cool character, in my opinion. I do find it hard however to apply this theory to women who aren't Jenny Sparks.

      Your theory was scholarly but fun without being redundant. If you want to talk more contact me through e-mail.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Archer & Armstrong American Pale Ale Opinion Piece 2

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 11 Issue 11 Review With Spoilers

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 11 #10 Review With Spoilers And Some Opinion